Sunday, May 20, 2012

Gen 3: Chapter Seven









Two hours back in the states and already Bella was on my case.

Bella: It's just this ... that you have closed yourself off again. I felt like maybe you were letting me in when we first arrived in France. Then we extended our trip for another week and suddenly you were closed up again. I mean...

 Miguel: Bella. Look I really have no idea what you are talking about. We had a great time and we got to know each other a little more. That's the point of a honeymoon, right? Relax, we are home now. Things will settle into a nice routine. You'll see.
Truthfully, I HAD pulled back. I had felt myself caring just a little too much and knew first hand what kind of control that would give her over me. I couldn't allow myself to fall in love with my wife.

 MAX! A perfect distraction.
Miguel: Look at this welcome home committee. Did you miss me, Boy?

I could tell Bella was pissed off at my dismissal of her but it couldn't be helped. There are lines I am not willing to cross. As I rubbed Max's belly, I felt like things were solid under me again. But that feeling didn't last long.

Miguel: I'll tell you one damn thing, I am in charge of whether or not that child comes to live here.
Julio: Actually, I have already made arrangements since you didn't seem inclined to answer my calls or emails while abroad. He should arrive here next week. And he's not just "that child", he is your son!

 The walls of my life were caving in. I had already settled on Bella and planned on producing heirs off her. Now I am being TOLD that I have to accept Kya's spawn as my own! No way was I naming him as heir, never. That would mean Kya wins and I just couldn't allow that.

 Miguel: You were so quick to make this decision. All for family pride. Did you not think of Bella's feelings on this? How she would feel raising my bastard.
I saw Bella turn from me. I guess putting it out there like that upset her but there was no help for it.
 
Maya: In all actuality, she has little to no say over the males of this legacy, Miguel. Female children are not brought home, just males. It is just the way of things. She will HAVE to accept him. 
I truly felt sorry for having put Bells in this position. I reached over and squeezed her hand under the table. 

I watched my mother stare Bella down, as if they shared some silent communication between them. One wife to another begging for understanding, perhaps. I know for a fact my Father had never been unfaithful to my Mom but perhaps she was thinking of her one indiscretion. Suddenly, Bella pushed up from the table.
Bella: He is just as welcome to live here as any Montoya. Everyone will know he isn't mine but I will strive to care for him as if he were. Now, please excuse me as I am tired from our long trip.

Bella is a strong woman. And as I watched her climb the stairs to our room, I felt this urge to sooth her, to make her feel comforted even when I was in turmoil.  But I couldn't give up that part of me, that selfish part that makes me who I am. So I pulled out my cell and walked out onto the porch and out of ear shot of anyone in the house.

Miguel: Ivy? It's Miguel. Yea, I just got back. Uh huh. What say you we do something naughty?
I laughed as Ivana started to purr into my ear.

--------------------------------------------------

 I have a son. I can see myself in his face. But I also see Kya. How much of her is inside him?

Well, he's here now and he has no idea where his mother is at. Apparently she never came home from that gig in Appaloosa, so long ago. I wonder what it was like for him to be in and out of foster homes? Shit, I won't think about that. Can't.

Miguel: So ... this is your room, for now. I promised Bella - my WIFE- that I would have a bigger house built to make up for ... things.
Damn, the kid was so quiet just staring at me with those big, brown eyes. The same ones that I fell for in my days of naivety.
 Miguel: So ... um ... this is your space. Do you have more stuff being shipped?

Dameon: I have been shuffled around foster care since I was 6, so I travel light, sir.
He stood there staring at me. I watched as several emotions crossed his face.
Miguel: What?
Dameon: Ma never really cared about me. But she always talked about how I was destined to live in a fine home and I was her ticket to riches. She talked about you too. I was never sure how I felt about you, being as you're my father and have never once come to see me. And now Julio ... I mean, my Grandpa is telling me I am your heir to a legacy that I...
  
Miguel: Let's get something straight! You are NOT my heir. Kya might have filled your head with dreams and my father likes to overstep his bounds, but Bella is my wife now. And the son she gives me will be my heir. You may live off my my hard work and soak up the fame of being a Montoya. But you will NEVER be my heir. Do you understand?

Dameon: Yes,sir. I didn't mean to ... I was just ... everything has changed so fast. I ... I understand. I won't interfere in any way with your wife. I am grateful that you opened your home to me.

Miguel: Save it! I didn't open my home, my father forced you on me.
I saw his face fall and he turned his head away from me. Hell, I sounded like a dick. But it couldn't be helped. He had to understand the way of things in this house. I didn't need him living with any false hopes. I took that moment to walk out. Dad was standing in the hall way with his arms crossed. I felt his condemnation fall full force on me as he stared into my eyes. Then he walked past me into Dameon's room.

I stood by the doorway and heard my father start talking to Dameon. The gall of him to apologize for my behavior! I stormed across the hall to my bedroom only to find Bella sitting on the bed waiting for me. I immediately changed my demeanor to something a little softer.

 Miguel: Bells, you waited up for me. How sweet.
I pulled her off the bed and into my arms. She pulled away and stepped back.
Bella: Is he .. Dameon, I mean. Is he all settled? Should I get him something or...
I reached out and started to tickle her around the waist.
Miguel: What I think you should do is stop worrying.

Bella: Miguel, stop.
I heard the laughter in her voice as she playfully slapped my arm. I grabbed her wrists gently and stared into her eyes.
Miguel: I'm serious, Bells. Everything will be fine. Trust me.
 
 I let her hands drop. There were those feelings again. This need to make everything in her world better. My mind shied away.
 
Times like this, I usually let my mind wander to those stolen moments with Ivy. But they just aren't as exciting as they used to be. Ivy is getting to be too clingy. Perhaps its time to start looking for another...

No comments:

Post a Comment