Thursday, May 24, 2012

Gen 3: Chapter Nine

Bella: ... Happy Birthday, to you! Yay, now blow out the candles.
Hearing my sweet Bells sing to me brought a smile to my face. The time here has done wonders for her. I usually find her out playing in the garden or swimming in the pool. Or, like today, baking something sweet. 
Miguel: It's such a beautiful cake, Bells. OK, wishing ... wishing ... wishing ....
Bella: Miii-Guellll!

I laughed as I finally leaned down to blow out the candles. I am officially the big four-oh. A scary thought, in my mind. Time is running out for me to accomplish those things I set out to do. I push those thoughts aside as Bella reaches over to cut the cake. 
Bella: Here, Miguel, you get first slice.
I take my plate and sit down while the rest of the family joins me. 

Although Mom is retired, I hear her leaving late at night. I am sure she still has her hand in the criminal cookie jar but I never mention anything to her. Dad is content to feed off her and has been staying close to home. I don't know if that is because of Mom ... or Dameon. I will be the first to admit that I have failed with him. And I am kind of glad that Dad has stepped in.
Bella: OK, everyone. You've had your cake so now it's time to scram. Miguel and I have special plans for the evening.

I try to pick up my plate but Mom ushers me and Bella off to our room. 
I gently shut the door and turn to see Bella shyly staring at me.
Miguel: So, Bells ... what are these  plans you have for me?
She starts to sway to-and-fro, like she used to do in High School.
Bella: I got the "go ahead" from Doctor Wilson and I feel like I am ready. Miguel, lets try for a baby once more. Please?

My heart felt like it stopped and a pain surged from my belly. The what-ifs had me paralyzed! As much as I wanted to have an heir from Bella, I would never want to lose her. I reached out to grab her hands as I spoke.
Miguel: Bells, I really don't think we should chance it. Aren't you happy now? I feel like our family is complete, we don't have to risk...
Bella: Miguel. You and Dameon will never see eye-to-eye and you need a child that you can trust to leave your legacy to. Please, do this for me?
My brain told me to refuse but my heart ... that cursed organ that I have tried to ignore for so long, pushed me to give in.

-------------------------------------------------

 The scanner was going bonkers. I could feel the air changing as I walked into the room. I felt a slight shiver work its way up my spine. This has got to be some of the strongest readings I have ever recorded. 

 I adjusted my aura glasses according to the numbers I read on the scanner. Why can't I see it yet? With an eerie creak, the door slowly shut behind me. 
Miguel: So, you want us to be alone? I can deal. Travis is asking me to help you move on, Spirit. If you can't go quietly, I will have to use force. I don't want to ... but I will. 
Suddenly, the drawers flew out of the dresser onto the floor and the bed jumped knocking the mattress askew. The door opened and slammed several times before a rumbling sound traveled into another room. 

 I pulled out my scanner again and followed the sound. This spirit wasn't losing any power from these surges which means it must have a lot in reserve. It must be ancient or ... I didn't want to think about the alternative. Ghosts of that nature were dangerous and could cost me more than a few expensive gadgets.

 My mind was wandering back to Bella and how life would change for her if I allowed something to happen to me. Without warning, the spirit appeared in my vision. I was startled into dropping my scanner and nearly touched the wispy energy that was her manifested form. And it was a female, who had obviously been murdered. The dangerous kind of emotional energy.

 Drawing in my panic, I ran down the stairs to my where I had my Banshee waiting. As I suspected, the spirit followed me. What I didn't expect was to be pushed down and almost knocked out! I could hear Travis freaking out in the kitchen when I stood up and saw her coming at me again. I ducked down and rolled to my Banshee, took aim and blasted. She fought hard but I was able to bring her in.

 With the danger now passed, I relayed my findings and my fee to Travis. 
Travis: Well, I really do appreciate you taking care of things. I was afraid I would have to move things were getting so bad. But uh.. well, I didn't expect this ...
He waved his arms around to encompass my machines and the ghost containment unit.
Travis: ... to be so expensive.
I nodded my understanding. Most people don't understand the science behind what I do. But this ghost was going to push me into the top level of this field. So I decided to cut him some slack.

Walking into his formal dining room, I examined the woodwork on his dining set.
Miguel: I think we can come to a financial arrangement that we can both agree on.

After picking up my check from the clerk and stashing my gear in the trunk of my clunker, I headed home. I found Bella emptying the dishwasher.
Miguel: Bells, you really should take it easy. 
Bella: Miguel, I can't sit around doing nothing. It would drive me crazy. Besides, Maya rarely leaves me anything to clean as it is. Anyway. How was work? You are home super early.

Miguel: Bells, I have decided to take the Mayor up on his offer to work for the city.
Bella: Really?! But you always said you wanted to be your own boss and decide your own hours.
Miguel: I know, I know. But things have changed ... I've changed.
She reached out and traced the side of my face with her fingertips with a small smile on her lips. Was I so lost to myself that I would wish for her to continue doing that forever? The thought made me lean slightly away. I watched her smile falter as she dropped her arm.

Miguel: What I meant was that things around here need to change. The weekly stipend will be more than enough to support us. Plus, you have made it past the first trimester and you need to be careful this time around. I want to be around for you.
Bella: And the baby, right? You will still love this child if it's a girl. Won't you, Miguel?
Why doe she put me on the spot like this. How do I know if I will love a child I have never seen if I can't even admit to myself that I might love my wife?

Miguel: Bells, what is important is that you AND this baby remain safe and healthy. Don't invite more worry by thinking I will not care for this child if it's a girl. 
She quietly smiled like she understood my point. She turned and walked off for the stairs. Although glad to be out of that sticky situation, it made me realize that I needed a back-up plan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 


Vicki: I don't know, Miguel.
Miguel: I don't think this is an unreasonable request, Vicki.
This conversation wasn't going exactly as I had hoped. I figured Vicki would be all for the idea but now it seems I might have misjudged her.

Vicki: So you are really just breaking up with me and asking to foster a kid off my body? What kind of shit is this, Miguel?
Miguel: Bella is still not completely stable and I don't need rumors of us flying around and causing another break down before she has this kid. 
God, this felt so wrong! And damn my heart for making me feel this guilt. 
Vicki: Well, I don't see any benefit for me. I mean, I will be stuck as a single mom if its a girl.

I pull my hurt look that I know works so well with her. 
Miguel: I wouldn't ask this if it wasn't important, Vicki. I need a boy child and even though I might already have a son inside Bella I can't take the chance that it's not. 
When I saw he face scrunch up in confusion, I thought that maybe I had convinced her.

Vicki: Miguel, I want some kind of monetary guarantee that I will be taken care of. This is MY life and MY dreams being forever changed here.
I guess she had a point. I hadn't really expected money to be the issue. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
Miguel: I would be willing to pay for all your medical expenses regardless of the baby's sex. If it's a girl, you will receive a small monthly check in the form of child support. 
Vicki: And if it's a boy?
Miguel: Then I will adopt him into my family and give you a hefty sum for your trouble. And unfortunately, we'd have to part ways for good. 
Vicki: How hefty?

The number I rattled off had her whooping for joy and throwing her arms around my neck for a lip crushing kiss. I saw how close this situation was to the one I had with Kya all those years ago. Only I had learned so much. I was no longer the one being manipulated.
Vicki began pressing hot, wet kisses to my neck. I was the manipulator. 

Shame. Guilt. Anger. All of it rolled through me as one thought tumbled into another. In my rush to get away from those hounds nipping at my conscious, I roughly pushed Vicki onto the floor of her kitchen floor. 
Vicki: So you want it like that, huh?
I felt the lightening quick pain of her tugging my hair. Then I let my brain shut off and just experience.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------



It was a bad omen, that is for sure. The morning after leaving Vicki's house for the last time, I woke up early, in a good mood, and started searching the house for Max so we could have our morning walk. He was getting so old, that one walk in the morning would tire him out for the day. I quietly opened my parent's bedroom door to see if I could see him in their bed.

 That's when I spotted him in the middle of the floor. He looked like he was just sleeping peacefully. But the Reaper must have come for him while we were all sleeping. To say I was a little upset would have been an understatement. 

I hope his passing was an easy thing. I mourned for him. Max had been the best friend any man could have ever asked for. I thought of those late night talks we shared, the way he would rush for my feet as soon as I walked into the drive, and the way he would lick my face when I made smooches at him. My heart aches in a way my words fail to describe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


SimFest was going on this weekend at the new park. I figured I needed a little entertainment and time away from the house so I suggested Bella should come with me. 
Bella: I think Don's little girl has some real talent. I mean, she has room for improvement but this girl is gonna make it big, I bet ya.
I watched her as she bounced in rhythm with the music. This woman has stood by me through a lot of crap. And when Max had died, she was the one who had picked out his urn since I had been in a bad way over his passing. I had this emotion inside me for this woman that it made me feel weak to even acknowledge it. 

Doctor Wilson had informed us yesterday that he is 98% sure this baby is going to be a girl ... and that Bella should be able to carry her to term. I find I am OK with this news since I still had hope that Vicki would carry a new heir for me. I leaned down to rub Bella's belly.
Miguel: Hey, Baby Girl, is Mommy knocking you around in there or are you enjoying this music too?
Bella laughed and held my hand over her baby bump.
Bella: I think she likes it. Maybe she will grow up and become a famous musician. Then we would have two famous Montoya's.

I smile up at her, not really thinking about the baby but what I was about to say. It would be the first time I say it and I want it to come out right.
Miguel: Bella, I have not been the best husband to you...
Bella: Miguel, you don't ...
Miguel: Yes, I do. You have stuck by me through everything ... through the lies, scandals, and my one indiscretion with Ivana. You are unlike any woman I have ever known. I mean ... I guess what I am trying to say is ... I can't form the right words, Bells.
I laugh nervously. Why should those three words be so hard for me to say? I clear my throat and try once more.
Miguel: Bella ... I wanted you to know ... wanted to say.... Hell! It's just that ... I love you!
The last three words came out in such a rush I am afraid she is going to make me repeat them. Instead, she pulls me into a warm embrace and whispers into my ear.
Bella: I've waited so long for you to figure that out for yourself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment