Saturday, May 5, 2012

Gen 3: Chapter Five

(continued from previous chapter)
 
 My mind was a mess after Kya left. I flipped on my computer to scan for work. I figured work would keep my mind off the whole situation for a while. I ran out the door without acknowledging Dad.

 As luck would have it, it was my next door neighbors who had put in a request for me. The Jones family has always had trouble of the spiritual kind, especially with Hannah's whole family just up and dying all of a sudden. Shit, I thought as she walked out with their new baby.

Hell, who was I kidding? I was mulling over everything while I worked. My feelings about Kya would never change. She was dead to me, in every sense. But the boy. What if he was mine? Dad would kill me for not claiming a son!
 
I finished collecting spirits from the possessed furniture.  Hannah was very grateful but asked that I not mention having to visit her home ... again. I nodded absently as I stared at the child she held in her arms.
  
 I snagged one of her fancy potted plants on my way out. Crap, some habits are just hard to break!

Would he look like me? Did he get my vamp genes? How old is he now? Then I thought of how I was just a pawn in Kya's game. And I didn't want to know anything about him at all!
 
 I whisked into the science lab to transfer the spirits into the containment box. I waited for the clerk to give me a check for them then I just walked out the back. I sat down on the bank by the river and just let my thoughts wander. 
 
Eventually, I got hungry. I stripped my jumpsuit off and tossed it in the back of my car as I headed to the diner. While I sat drinking my third cup of coffee, I created a plan for my future. No more allowing myself to be manipulated! I tipped my waitress then stepped outside to make a call.
  
With the next step taken, I headed home until my date with Bella that evening. I found Max waiting for me. I looked around to make sure no one was watching as I lifted him into my arms.
Miguel: Hey boy! Who's my guy? Who's my guy? Yeah!
Still a little self conscious about talking to my dog in that baby voice. But I found he was the only one I could really be myself with.

  Miguel: Well, our bachelor days are numbered, Fella. No telling what kind of changes we are in store for when a woman moves in. But you knew that already, huh? With Pennie and all.

Miguel: I have a secret only you will know ... I think I might be a daddy already. Cool huh?
I felt better having shared that time with Max.

 It helped to settle me. Because damn, I hate seeing that smirk on my Father's face. If it was possible, I would force him to move out or I'd leave the family home. Or something to get away from his smugness. 
 
 
I was very deliberate in my choice of clothing and made sure I used the aftershave Bella loves. I opened my top drawer and pulled out  "the ring". It isn't the same one my parents used but a replica. Every generation must present a ring to his intended bride just like Granddad's original. It felt so heavy in my jacket pocket.
   
Bella was full of talk about her job. She got another promotion today. I guess it's good to like your boss and all ... if you have to have one. I listened with one ear as I drove to Nibbles Cafe.
 
We sat through diner having small talk and large silent gaps. I'm pretty sure she knew something was up. As we walked out, I stopped at the side vendor to buy a small bouquet of purple roses, Bella's favorite. She smelled them. 
Bella: You are too sweet.
She turned and placed them on the bench next to us and put her hands on either side of my face.
Bella: Tell me what's wrong, Miguel. You're hiding from me this evening.
 
 Its now or never, I thought to myself. So I crouch down on one knee in front of Bella.

She looks so confused and almost ... beautiful. My life is changing so fast!
 
 I plaster a smile on my face as I pull the ring from my pocket.

Miguel: Bella, would you take pity on this unworthy man ... and become my wife?
Some inner part of me actually wanted her to say no. But another part, the one trying to survive, screamed that I needed her to say yes to make me forget everything that has happened.
Bella: Oh my word! Miguel, I never thought ... I mean you were distracted and ... I had no idea you were planning...
 Miguel: Can I take that for a "yes"?
I joke as I slide the ring on her finger. A perfect fit, as always.

 Bella: Oh God, I'm sorry. I was just babbling on and on and it looks so beautiful and I ... YES! Of course, Miguel. I love you so much!
She threw her arms around me and hugged me tight. I pray she didn't notice that I didn't repeat her sentiment. She gave a watery laugh as she pulled back and glanced at the ring on her finger again.

Bella: Wait until I tell, Momma. She is going to want to plan a big party to celebrate. Oh God, I am getting married!
As she continues her excited chatter, I feel the smile on my face get a little more strained...

No comments:

Post a Comment