Monday, July 2, 2012

Gen 4: Chapter Six

 Life has carried on since my father's funeral. Granddad has been sculpting like a fiend. His last piece sold for almost four grand alone! But I have refused to touch his money for household bills and repairs. I want to do things on my own.
Dameon: Rissa, these waffles are done. And man, they sure smell good.

 I hear this awful noise and look over just as Rissa runs out. I follow her to the bathroom but she slams the door shut in my face.
Dameon: You need any help?
I hear her muffled voice through the door.
Charissa: I'm fine. Just ... go away.
She has been so distant from me lately. I decide to give her some space. I go through the whole morning routine with the boys and put away breakfast. As an afterthought, I go back and put my plate in the dish washer.

 Playing for tips is still my bread and butter but I do have two gigs scheduled for this week. My timing is off today. My mind is on Rissa. When I left out of the house, she kissed my cheek and whispered that she was sorry for earlier. Something is bothering her, but she won't confide in me. It's the first time there have been secrets between us. I decide to close up early and head home.

 Dameon: Watch this, Gabe. Watch the hand. Ah, he's coming.
Rachel is at Smuggsworth Prep boarding school. I find I miss her laughter. But my boys are enjoying the extra attention. And they don't seem to mind that I haven't showered after being in the hot sun all day.

 Dameon: And he ... gets you, gets you, gets you!
Gabe breaks into laughter while Juan tries to climb my leg to get the same treatment.
Dameon: OK,Guys. One at a time.
Man, I love my children!
 
 Dameon: Don't forget, tomorrow night I have a gig at the Rodeo-Go-Go at six.
Charissa: I remembered.
I watch as she continues to slowly eat.
Dameon: Is something bothering you?

 Charissa: I feel ... unsettled. The therapist is helping me deal with my feelings of guilt but lately, I can't seem to keep anything down. I feel so tired and worn out.
Dameon: You don't think you are coming down with something, do you?
Julio: You guys better come here!
Rissa: I wonder what he's all excited about.
We both get up, leaving our food on the table, to follow the sound of Granddad's voice.

 Angel had her puppies! Four of them, to be exact. We oooh-ed and ahhh-ed over them. Then we took turns naming each one: Sage, Pepper, Fancy, and the only male pup was named Weber. I rushed to take a shower so I could call Rachel.

 Dameon: Rach? You'll never guess what happened today!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dameon: Shoo, all of ya! No, you can stay Rascal.
All these puppies are getting under foot. I think they are ready to leave the nest. Time to contact some friends to see if they want some pups.

Dameon: Rissa, I have a favor to ask.
Charissa: Is that why you are being so sweet this morning?
I laugh because obviously I am transparent to her.
Dameon: I was wondering if you would mind dropping off the female puppies to their new owners?
Charissa: But you have SimFest this afternoon! The boys...

Dameon: I can take the boys with me. You can just meet us at the park, OK?
Charissa: OK.
I reach out to caress he beautiful face. Her skin is so soft and its go this new glow to it.
Dameon: How are you feeling this morning?

Charissa: Better, for now. 
I embrace her, trying to offer comfort.
Dameon: I worry about you. If things don't get better, I will make you an appointment for the doctor myself.
She gives me a weak smile. I pray everything is alright. I don't know what I would do without her.

After a lot of crying and fussing, I managed to get both boys to the park with me. Rissa will probably throw a fit because they are still in their pajamas. I sit them down right in front of the stage with strict commands to stay put. They happily guzzle their strawberry milk as I walk over to chat with the proprietor.

Sam: Great, you are here early. You are next.
Dameon: Next?! Wait, my wife isn't here. My boys...
Sam: I can't have a gap in my show. If you aren't prepared, then I will give your spot to someone else.
Oh crap, I can't believe I am going to miss this opportunity. Maybe I shouldn't have asked Rissa to drop the pups off today of all days. I mean ... *click-click* Rissa!

Dameon: Oh wow, I am so glad you got here in time. I have to go on stage now!
Charissa: Go ahead, I got the boys. I was just taking some ambiance pictures of the crowd and ...
Dameon: That's fine, that's fine.
I lean in and kiss her cheek.
 Dameon: I have to go change. Cheer for me!

I was almost through with my time slot. I ask for a volunteer from the crowd. I see Holly waving her hand enthusiastically so I call her up. I find her slightly neurotic but since she was the one who helped me find a warehouse to purchase the Box of Mystery, I try to remain friendly.

As the music crescendos, I swing the door open to reveal Holly walking out.
Holly: I AM OH KAY!
As the sound of applause continues, Holly leans over to whisper out the side of her mouth.
Holly: You and Charissa need to come over to my place for dinner tonight. I found something you might be interested in.
Dameon: I got another gig at the karaoke place tonight.
Holly: Tomorrow night then. It's important.
I am so intrigued. She always seems to know the right place to acquire things of magic. I wonder why her own career isn't taking off like mine has.
Dameon: Alright. Tomorrow night then.

Dameon: ... and then I said alright. I'm sorry I didn't ask you but she kind of put me on the spot.
Rissa bounces Gabe in her arms and kisses his forehead. Juan tries to reach out and grab her hair but I turn my body away so he just misses.
Charissa: I guess so, Dameon. I don't really know her though.
Dameon: I'm sure you will like her. She is very ... interesting.
I can tell the boys are getting restless.

Dameon: Let's get you guys home. I'll help you put the boys in the van then I need to head off to my other gig. Oh, the pups. Did you get them squared away?
For the first time, I see Rissa smile.
Charissa: Yes! Pepper, Fancy, and Sage are all with their new owners.
As we walk towards the van, she continues to laugh and talk about the puppies antics.

This show is maybe the best I have ever done. I pull out the hypnotizer and regale the audience by making their friends do silly things like acting like a chicken and busting into random dances. After the show, I stick around and chat with those that are asking for pictures with me.

I am approached by a pretty woman who claims she is writing a review on me for the main newspaper in town. She seems to insinuate I could get a better review if I were "nice" to her. 
Dameon: I think you may have confused me with my father. Excuse me.
 I quickly gather my things and leave for home.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dameon: Yes, this is Dameon. Yes, sir. Are you serious?! No, no, that sounds ... wonderful. Thank you so much. You won't be disappointed. Good bye!
I can't believe it! Finally, my first steady gig. I do an impromptu dance with Gabe before putting him on the ground next to his brother.

Creeping up behind Rissa, I grab her around the waist and hug her to me. I start to kiss her neck.
Charissa: What ... Dameon?
As soon as she puts down her brush and paints, I spin her around and lock my lips to hers in an excited, joyful kiss.

Charissa: Not that I am complaining, but what was that for?
Dameon: I have just been offered a steady job at the Rodeo Go-Go!
Charissa: Oh my Watcher, Dameon that is great!
She throws her arms around me and hugs me tight. I push her tummy back just a little.
Dameon: Be careful of the little bambino, now.

She laughs as I rub my hand over the small mound at her stomach.
Dameon: Are you sure?
Charissa: I haven't seen a doctor yet but the two pregnancy tests I took were positive.
Dameon: I am still in shock I guess.
I lean down and kiss her belly.
Dameon: Need to start your vitamins to make sure my boys are healthy.
Charissa: Girls, I am almost positive.
Grinning at the old argument, I kiss her cheek.
Dameon: I will be home early so we can go to Holly's for dinner. Be ready at five.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


With that new dress, it's hard to miss the baby bump. I don't know why I didn't figure it out sooner. The thought of being responsible for another life still scares me but I think I am getting the hang of it.
Dameon: Sweetie, we are going to be late. There is nothing in this world that can make you more beautiful than you already are. Let's just go already.

Charissa: Smooth talker. Does this dress look OK? I just got it from the consignment store when I dropped off my recent photo series. You wouldn't believe the deal I got on it.
Dameon: The color makes you look like a glowing angel.
She playfully slaps my arm.
Charissa: Dameon! Stop that or we will never make it out of here.
Dameon: I am willing to forgo the dinner if you are offering to slip out of that dress you got a fantastic deal on...
Charissa: Out! Now! Let's go.

The party didn't start out very well. We arrived to see Holly fighting with her guy friend, Seth. When Holly saw us walking up she welcomed us inside but I could see they were clearly not finished. She told us to relax while she finished up dinner. Sitting with Seth proved awkward.
Dameon: So Seth...uh...what do you do?
Seth: Whatever the hell I feel like since I don't answer to the man.
Rissa wanted so badly to say something about his rudeness. But I make a slight head movement and she just sighs really loud. Seth pulls out a book and proceeds to ignore us.

Holly: Dinner! Seth, you could try and be polite by joining us.
Seth: I HATE your mac and cheese!
Holly: Then you should have said something sooner!
Seth: These are YOUR friends, not mine!
Holly: Then just ... sit over there and read your book then!
Awkwardly, Rissa and I grab a small bowl of the controversial mac and cheese and sit down.

Dameon: It sounds great, Holly, but ... Box of Danger? I'm not sure I am ready for tricks like that.
I pick up my bowl and follow Holly to the sink. Rissa moves over so I can pass.
Holly: I know it sounds too elaborate. And the box itself is pretty expensive. But think of the revenue it would open up. I mean you can't expect to do a stadium gig with just your "disappearing sim", can you?
Dameon: I have actually started using the "swords of destiny" trick as well. And the Hypnotiser was a big hit.

Holly seems to know so much. I wonder again why she didn't take her own advice. I looked over and noticed Rissa holding her back. How long had she been feeling uncomfortable? Dang it, she wouldn't say anything either because we were here for my career. After Seth and Holly had gotten into yet another shouting match, I broke the awkward silence to inform them we were going home.

In the car, I pulled her hand from her lap and brought it to my lips.
Dameon: Thank you for coming with me tonight. I know it wasn't a very pleasant experience.
Charissa: I don't understand why they stay together if they fight so much.
Dameon: I don't know. 
I kiss her hand again and think what a lucky man I am to have her.

We park the car and start walking up to the front door. The stars are so bright, they catch my attention.
Dameon: Rissa.
Charissa: Yea?
Dameon: Will you sit under the stars with me?
I watch the smile travel across her face and into her eyes.
Charissa: Of course, I'd love to.
We head to the back yard and sit down right on the grass. We lean back and just stare.

Charissa: Look! I think that was a shooting star! Oh, isn't it beautiful, Dameon?
I stare at Rissa's face.This woman who has stuck by me through thick and thin, scandals and loss, being poor and finally being financially secure. She has already given me two wonderful children and even now carries more physical proof of our love in her womb. Has the Watcher ever made a more perfect woman than the one by my side?
Dameon: Yes. Yes, you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment