Sunday, July 8, 2012

Gen 4: Chapter Seven

 Charissa: I thought she wasn't coming home until Sunday.
Dameon: That was the plan but she said she was able to catch a ride home with another student. They probably already dropped her off by now. I'm sorry we didn't get to finish the movie, Rissa.
Charissa: Oh Dameon, it's quite alright. I'm just as excited as you are to see her.
I smile at Rissa's comment as I pull in the drive.
Dameon: Is that her?!
It's dark but I can make out a small figure standing at the edge of our yard.
Dameon: Rachel?
She turns and I can see her face fully for the first time.
Rachel: Dameon! Rissa! I am so glad to be home.

I can't help myself and embrace her in a big bear hug. I lean back and scan her face. So many similarities to Dad and Bella. She is like the perfect blend of both. 
 Dameon: It's great to have you home again. We have missed you. But why the change of plans?
Rachel: Do you think I would miss seeing those boys age up? It was a lot of shuffling but I was able to finish my exams early just so I could make the Birthday party.

We spend some time just catching up. Suddenly, Rissa is nudging me in the ribs. I tilt my head and give her a puzzled look. Her eyes widen and she points her head at Rachel then looks pointedly down at her stomach.
Dameon: OH! Rach, we have some exciting news to share. It seems ...
Rissa, in her excitement breaks in.
Charissa: You are going to be an Aunt again!
Rachel: Oh my gosh, Really?! 
This announcement calls for more hugs and questions. It's almost an hour before we make our way inside.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 I FINALLY get to use my new grill. I haul out some hot dogs from the outdoor fridge and start mixing my own personal barbeque sauce. The sun is on my back and a slight breeze on my face. I can just make out the tune on the radio and the smell of freshly cut grass mingling with the grill. I am in Man-Heaven! 

 
I am adjusting the flame on the grill when I hear the sliding glass door open.
Dameon: Well if it isn't Sexy Momma and Little Man.
Rissa smirks as she places some hot dogs buns on the counter next to the grill.
 Charissa: You sure are in a good mood this morning.
Dameon: Excited, that's all. My guys are becoming men today!
Charissa: Easy, Tiger. They grow up too fast as it is.

I laugh and close the grill. We both make a couple more trips in and out, bringing out supplies for the party. I had just finished setting the second cake out when Rachel steps outside with Gabe. I walk over and tug at his ear. He frowns at me.
Rachel: I was thinking of going to see Uncle Michael after things calm down here. Do you think that would be OK?
I give up on trying to make Gabe smile.
Dameon: Sure, Rach. I bet he would love that.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Rachel: But I don't understand why they had to rezone again. This means Maria and I won't be going to the same school anymore.  
Rissa slides her chair away from the table. I take this to mean this is my dilemma to solve. 

 Dameon: Well, you will still be taking the same courses. Maybe you two can meet up and do homework together. And she is welcome to stay here any time she wants.
Rachel: Can I stay at her place too?
I stop and think about this. Maria's family is well-to-do and have gotten a reputation lately of being snobbish. But Maria has been nothing but nice and respectful, so I give in.
Dameon: Yea, that's fine too. But so long as you know, grades comes first. You got me?
Rachel smiles and nods her head. 

Soon after my conversation with Rachel, the guests start arriving. It's not long before Holly approaches me.
Holly: Oh My Watcher! You invited SETH! Why would you do that?!
Dameon: Well, you two are an item and it would be rude...
Holly: WERE! We were an item. I am seeing Javed now. Ugh, this is so awkward.
Dameon: I am sorry. Just ... try to stay away from each other, I guess.
Oops. A big social gaffe there. I hope I don't regret that later.
 
Seth: No, Darling, just a friend of a friend. And you said your name is Rachel? You're Dameon's sister then.
Rachel: Yes. I just got back from boarding school.
Seth: Yuck. Bet you're glad to be home though.
Rachel. Uh-huh. So ... what do you do for a living?
 
Charissa: Dameon, I really don't like Rachel talking with him so much. 
I'm slighlty distracted as Rissa is having this whispered conversation with me. I dropped two dogs already and refuse to drop anymroe. My pride just can't take it.
Dameon: What? Who are you talking about?
Charissa: Have you even been listening to me? Rachel and Seth. He is older than you, for Pete's sake. 
Dameon: She's just being sociable. You're making too much of it.
Charissa: I hope so...
Dameon: Woooo!
Rachel: Ignore your Daddy, he's being silly. Now ... Blow, Juan!
I watch as the miracle of change causes sparkles to flutter around and Juan spins into childhood. My heart is bursting from pride, joy, and maybe just a touch of sorrow to see my boy growing up.

Juan Montoya - Generation 5
Light Sleeper, Excitable, Clumsy

Rachel: Your turn, Gabe. Blow out the candles!
Technically my first born, Gabe takes his sweet time gathering sparkles. But soon enough, he too spins into childhood.

Gabe Montoya - Generation 5
Athletic, Loner, Workaholic

Dameon: And here is your gift as well, Gabe.
Gabe: Thanks.
Juan: What's the matter, Gabe?
I look at Gabe and for the first time notice how uncomfortable he looks.
Gabe: I'm sorry, Dad. I know this party is for me but ...
Dameon: But what?
Gabe: I'm not comfortable around all these people. Can I go play in the tree-house until everyone leaves?
Dameon: Um, sure, go ahead. What about you, Juan?
Juan: Nah, I'm good. I'm going for another slice of cake!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juan: Ha! Take that, Dad.
Dameon: Oh! So you think you're hot stuff, huh? Huh? Well, what if I pull this out? Booyah!
Gabe: Would you two stop knuckling around and help me fight the big boss guy? Sheesh.
Juan and I look at each other for a moment before we both attack Gabe's character at the same time.
Gabe: Oh, come on! We need to finish the level, Guys. And this is not helping.
After the party, the boys asked to play their new video game. I was happy to oblige them.

Rachel headed off to visit with her Uncle Michael. Myles, his son by Dina, was suppose to be there  weekend visit. I wonder if he will be attending school with the boys?
  
And while I entertained the boys with their game, Rissa headed off for some more alone time. Carrying another set of twins is rough going for her. I think I might give her a back massage tonight.

Rachel: I'm home! What y'all playing?
I look at the clock and realize how late it is. I switch the machine off to a chorus of whines.
Dameon: Nothing now. It's time for bed, Lady and Gents.
Rachel sighs but leans over to kiss my cheek.
Rachel: Night!

The boys took a little longer to comply. Eventually, they both get their pajamas on and crawl in to their new beds in their new room.
Dameon: Goodnight, Boys!
I turn off their light and head back up stairs to check on Rissa.

 The next morning, I wake up early to sneak in some relaxation time. I have time to let my mind wander. I have been conferred a new title by the city's council: Purveyor of Danger! And I procured that Box of Danger from a shady character who works at the C-ment Shoe Factory. I think today I will celebrate with my family!
 
 Dameon: So I was thinking maybe we could check out the new place down by the factory.
Charissa: But ... it's located on the bad side of town. Are you sure it's safe?
Dameon: Rissa, this town is filling up fast. Land is at a premium. I heard this was the only commercial lot avaible for the owner to build on. Let's just give it a shot.
Rissa scrunches up her nose and inhales sharply.
Charissa: Alright, let's do it. I'll hurry the boys up.

Dameon: Are you alright, Love?
Charissa: Yea, just twinges. Mmmm. I can smell the food from here. I am craving some nachos and dip.
I laugh as I watch her waddle her way to the bar.
The boys race each other up the stairs. I watch Rachel as she takes the steps at a slow and gracful pace. Rissa is right, she has grown into a lovely young woman. I am not sure I am ready for this yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dameon: Oh yea, that's what I am talking about. I meant to hit that ball in there.
Charissa: Right, Dear. Now come on, stop that and come take some pictures with me in the photo booth.
I glance up while still leaning into the next shot. The smirk on Rissa's face tells me she is thinking of another date, long ago. That included a photo booth and several glasses of Woohoo on the Beach. The poolstick slides right out of my hand!
I slide the curtain back and sit down on the small bench. Rissa is having a little trouble trying to keep her stomach from pressing against the side.
Charissa: I remember this being a little easier last time. 
I smile and pull her into my lap.
Charissa: No, Dameon. I'm too heavy, you'll hurt yourself.
Dameon: Oh shush. Let me have a few moments to enjoy holding you.

After a few flashes, we squirm our way out. I wait for the pictures to come out as Rissa walks over to the karaoke machine.
Gabe: What do you say, Puzzle? Want to go play dominoes?
I turn to see Gabe talking to one of those creepy dolls Granddad gave to kids.
Dameon: Gabe, put that thing away. You are too old to be carrying that around with you.
He gives me a look then pushes the doll back into his bag.

Charissa: Dameon! Come sing with me.
She wants me to sing? I sound like a frog in the shower and she wants me to sing in public? I start to shake my head no.
Charissa: Please. 
I hear the first few bars and realize it's the song we danced to at Prom!
Dameon: Listen Ba-by! Ain't no mountain high, ain't no valley low, ain't no river wide enough. Ba-by!
Charissa: If ya need me, call me. No matter where ya are, no matter how far.
Dameon: Don't worry Baby.
Charissa: Just call my name. I'll be there in a hurry, you don't have to worry.
(in unison): Cuz, Baby, there ain't no mountain high enough...
(listen to song here)

We finished the song to hear Rachel and the boys clapping. Of course, they promptly turned around and went back to playing dominoes.
Dameon: That was fun, eh? What's the matter?
Rissa has a pained expression on her face. I start to worry.
Charissa: I don't think those nachos are sitting very well. Maybe I should just sit down for a bit.
Dameon: Are you girls giving Mom a hard time? 

Laughing at my antics, Rissa tugs me back up. I feel her arms slide around me and I gently press my lips to hers.
Dameon: Are you sure you are alright?
Charissa: Yea, I think I might have over done it with the singing and swaying and all. 
Just then my phone rings.

It's Granddad. My Aunt Sofia has invited us all over to her house for a formal diner. After getting the "OK" from Rissa, I assure him we'll be there.
Charissa: I'll gather our things and try to tear the boys away from the Skee-Ball machines.
Dameon: OK, I'll pull the van around front.
While I was waiting, I was offered a free drink from the bartender. He then asked for my autograph. It's kind of exciting to be recognized.
 Juan: So this is where y'all used to live? It's so small.
Dameon: Yea, but we didn't have much when we started out. We were only able to afford the house we have now through ... 
Charissa: Luck! And your Great-Aunt Sofia bought the place from us since her husband was gone and her son, Pedro, had moved out on his own. But that is history. Let's head inside.
I guess her version was much simpler than the one I was going to share. I shrug and walk up the steps.
 Sofia: I remember when I was your age. I was in love with a Mortimer Goth. He was so handsome. I had hoped to marry him but he had other plans. 
Poor Rachel was being regaled with stories of our Aunt's youth. She is being respectful and listening ... for the most part.
Sofia: He wound up married to a Gold Digger and had a son, if I am not mistaken. But your Aunt Mimi, she's another story...
I laugh to myself as I look for a place to sit.

I had to make do with the bathroom. At least my Aunt Sofia kept it clean. Being back in our old house brought back old memories. It's amazing everything that has happened since we moved to Starlight Shores. Rachel was just a baby and now she's a blossoming young woman. I can't help the full sigh that escapes my mouth.
 I walk out the bathroom and hear the boys giggling on the sofa chairs. I give them a wink as I head towards the sink.
Charissa: Oh Watcher!
At Rissa's comment, my head whips around to see her eyes bulging and her hands gripping her stomach.
Charissa: Dameon!

 I stare uncomprehending as water starts to trickle down her legs followed by a small burst. 
Sofia: Oh shit! The baby! Uh ... uh ... just breathe, now. Easy like...
My brain is still in a fog and everything is happening in slow motion. Did my calm, demure Aunt just curse?
Suddenly, I am forced out of the vacuum. I can hear voices and noise. The boys are making gagging sounds and Rissa is huffing. Aunt Sofia is still talking to Rissa like she is a skittish colt and I now get it. The babies are coming! 
Dameon: AH! Uh....
I put my hands on my head and give my hair a yank. Think, Brain! We've done this before! 
Julio: Dameon. 
I look over at Granddad who is standing next to Rachel, both cool as a cucumber.
Julio: Take your wife to the hospital. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Eight grueling hours and several expletives later, Rissa and I welcome our twins daughters into the world. Selene (neurotic,heavy sleeper) was born at 1:52am followed by Aria (disciplined, good) at 1:59am. 
As we make our way out of the hospital, I notice a paparazzi standing by the doors.
Paparazzi: Smile for the camera! Can you maybe turn the baby. Your fans want to see the newest family members.
Charissa: Dameon? Why is he ... I don't want...

Dameon: Ignore him, Love. Just keep walking. 
I glare at the guy over my shoulder. He snaps another quick shot then smiles unapologetically at me.
Paparazzi: The price of fame.
I try not to be angry as I make sure all three of my girls are securely belted into the van. 
Charissa: Forget about it, Honey. Let's take our babies home.
Charissa: Wow, Dameon. Weren't we just bringing the boys home to this nursery?
Dameon: I know. It seems like only yesterday. And now they have their first day of school tomorrow.
The house is so quiet. Everyone must be sleeping. Rissa walks over to the other crib and leans over to lay Selene down. I take a moment to enjoy a snuggle.
As I feel the weight of Aria on my shoulder, I am struck with how blessed I am. The Watcher has been good to me and my family.  But I worry that it will not always be so.
Dameon: Daddy will see that you and your sister are taken care of, My Princess.
   
I was pulling Aria's blanket back around her tiny face when the nursery door swings open and Granddad comes strolling in. 
Julio: Where are my newest great-grand babies?

2 comments:

  1. Awww! I loved it. The Cantina pictures were to much fun. I just love the Montoya's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love reading your writing B. And Yay! for the Cantina! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete