Friday, June 1, 2012

Gen 4:Chapter Two

Dameon: There really isn't any reason for you to stay in Riverview anymore, Granddad. I know the house is small but we could make room for you. I miss you.
Grandmother's passing has been hard on Granddad. I tried to convince him to come home with us right after the funeral but he said he didn't want to intrude on us.
Julio: I miss you too, Dameon. And while I think you are right there are some things that have come up...

Dameon: What things?
Julio: Dameon ... your father is back.
My emotions run wild. Why is he back? What does he want? I was just getting used to not having to worry about his chaos.
Julio: He has aged considerably since last you saw him. He hasn't much longer on this earth. And, although there is no love lost between us, I think he needs to see his daughter.
An awkward silence fills the air. I do NOT like the idea of having my father back in my life.
Julio: But we can talk about that later. Today is a big day for you, right?

My whole demeanor changes. I sneak a quick look behind me to assure myself that Rissa is still asleep.
Dameon: Yes. Although I can't tell if I am more excited about my first show or about my plans for after.
I hear Granddaddy chuckle through the phone.
Julio: Well, just be sure to get Rissa to take lots of pictures of the show. And I want a really long email about the proposal.

I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about the performance and Rissa's reaction to the ring I have in my top drawer.
Dameon: I will, I will. Hey, Granddad?
Julio: Yea?
Dameon: Thanks ... for everything.
Julio: Aw, Dameon. You are your own man. You have always been the one deciding your own future. I was just lucky enough come along and be a part of that journey. Life has to have balance. Without Miguel's evil, you would have nothing to counter. Think on it and may you forever have peace inside.
I hang up the phone feeling just a kernel of pity for my father.

Rick: We'll go ahead and add it to your ticket, Ms. Wilson, and contact you when it has been sold.
Charissa: Thanks, Rick, I appreciate it. But I want to talk prices. You know my last painting, the stripes?
The trip to the consignment store was spur of the moment. Rissa had blasted through another painting and wanted to use it as an excuse to ask for a bigger cut of the profit. My girl is a haggler!

Dameon: Bu - Bie. Come on, Rach. Say Bu - Bie.
Rachel: Gab bib bla.
I laugh which makes Rachel laugh too. Who knew teaching a toddler to talk would require such work! Rissa and I have been taking turns trying to get her to talk. The only thing we have heard her say, that we can understand, is "soap". How weird is that?

I love hearing her laughter and her gurgling sounds as we head to the park for my first ever show. I am reminded about Granddaddy's call this morning. Is it wrong of me to want to keep her away from her own father? I help Rissa fold up the stroller and make a spot for them to stand at the front of the stage.

I need to focus on my gig. I see Beth motioning over.
Beth: Where have you been?! You should have been here hours ago.
Dameon: Beth, calm down, the show doesn't start for another hour.
Beth: But you haven't set up the stage or done a sound check. What if the lights aren't where they need to be?

I feel like I have just been sucker-punched in the gut.
Dameon: Wait, I am the one who has to set up the stage and do sound and light checks?
Beth: Hey, this is a very low-key operation. I can't afford to hire people to do these little things as well as pay the performers! Now I have some old props in the storage shed. But if you use them, I will have to take it out of your fee.
Well, I can't get up on an empty stage. The $250 I was going to make from this isn't much of a sacrifice. And we still have that bit of money in the savings. I hope this career doesn't put us in the poor house before I can make it big.
Dameon: How much is it going to cost me?

I walk across the stage to utter silence. The park isn't filled but I have quite a few observers. Seeing Rissa up front snapping away at her camera gives me the confidence boost I need to do this. Wiping my sweaty palms on my pants, I clear my throat...
Dameon: Welcome to Verde Park. Today you have the special treat of moi: The Mystical Dee. Prepare to be amazed as I take you on a trip to the fantastical and unbelievable!

I start the show with a bit of comedic relief. I pretend to have lost my wand only to find it hiding in my ear. The crowd likes it so I decide to take the funny routine.
Dameon: Do you know how to get a magician to show you a hundred different card tricks?
Waiting a moment to answer, I watch faces to judge when to answer.
Dameon: By asking him to show you just one.
I get a few chuckles but I can see some people start to look around and fiddle with their phones. I am losing them!

So I bust out the better of my tricks and try and keep the crowd charming to a minimum. I decide to try out my dove release despite it still being somewhat new to me. I palm the glitter and reach back for the tie hold doves just below the stage. With a well-timed choreography of movements, I toss the glitter into the air just as the doves flutter above my head.
Dameon: Mystical!
The crowd goes wild with that one. My heart is thumping in my chest.

I pull out my stage hat and goof around.
Dameon: I thought there was a rabbit in here ... somewhere.
I continue sticking my hand in the hat but I feel icy sweat break out as I recall that I didn't pull him out of his cage in the chaos before the show. Looking over at Rissa, I can see her miming for me to skip to the next trick.
Dameon: Haha. He must have had better acts to attend.

My impromptu joke gets a few laughs. I start my light and fog show and notice a few of the patrons really getting into it. I make a note to maybe play different music next show.

As my time is running out, I pull out my wand for the finale.
Dameon: I thank you all for coming to witness the debut of The Mystical Dee.
I point the Roman candle I have painted to look like my original wand, towards the sky.
Dameon: I bid you all a goodnight...
A ball of light fires into the sky form the tip of my makeshift wand!
Dameon: Adieu.
Another ball explodes into the air!
Dameon: Adios.
This continues until all seven shots have left the firework.

All 12 people in attendance begin to cheer. I feel adrenaline pumping as I extend my arms to take my bow. I can't make my face stop grinning! The excitement of being on stage and hearing the beautiful sound of adoration form other people keeps me on cloud nine. Even when I see a banana and a bottle of bubble bath thrown up on the stage, I continue to bask in the glow of a well-done performance.

I am soon brought back to the ground by the cries of Rachel. It is way past her bed time and I fell like a total cad for forgetting about her and Rissa during my moment. I hop off the stage and walk over to where they are standing.
Dameon: I am so sorry, Rissa. I should have left you the van keys so you could have taken her home already.
Charissa: It's OK. I kind of wanted to stay for your whole performance anyway. But I do think I should get her home now. Can you get catch a ride with someone?
Dameon: Oh yea, and if not, I'll call a cab. I need to find somewhere to store these props. Be careful though, alright?
I lean in and brush my lips across hers quickly. Then with a whoop of excitement, I trot off to talk about my performance with Beth. I am so pumped!

It's late when I make it home. Rachel is thankfully asleep. I thought I would help Rissa out by doing some dishes but I wind up breaking the sink! Not how I was hoping to spend the evening. Grumbling under my breath, I leave the sink spewing water everywhere to snag my tools out of the garage.

Charissa: You could try turning the water valve off.
I look behind me at Rissa mopping up the puddle my handiwork has created.
Dameon: But then you wouldn't have anything to do?
I laugh at my joke but I can tell she isn't happy right now. Not good! With a final twist of the pipe wrench, the water thankfully stops. I put up my tools and come back to find Rissa putting the mop on the porch to dry.

I pull her back inside and into my arms.
Dameon: I wonder if you realize how happy you made me when you agreed to be my wife?
Charissa: It's just a piece of paper, Dameon.
Dameon: No, no it's not.

I let her go and step back. With a practiced hand, I palm the ring box from my pocket as I caress her face. Its all about having their eyes focused elsewhere for the illusion to work.
Dameon: I know I promised not to make it a big extravagant thing. And finding out our neighbor is also the JP in this town makes it that much easier. But I feel I need to do this the right way. So here goes...

I bend down onto one knee and Rissa gives me the eye.
Charissa: Dameon, what the hell are you doing? Get up. This is...
With a poof of smoke from the a capsule I had taped under the box, it seems the box has magically appeared in my hand. Rissa's eyes widen and she pulls her hands to her mouth in shocked silence.
Dameon: Charissa Wilson, you are the most stubborn, unconventional, irritating woman I have ever met. Will  you promise to bring out the best in me for the rest of our lives?


No comments:

Post a Comment