Monday, June 4, 2012

Gen 4: Chapter Three


From the front porch, I watch as Rissa embraces her mother.
Charissa: How are you guys settling in?
Shirley: We are all moved in. And as snug as a bug in a rug, I might add!
Jebidiah is retired now, so he and Shirley decided to buy some land on the posh side of town here in Starlight Shores. While Shirley is catching up with Rissa, I notice that Jeb is hanging back. I motion him in as the women continue chatting. 

I feel ridiculous just standing there with him. But my ultra-conservative side is pushing me to ask him.
Dameon: Mr Wilson I...
Jebidiah: Please, Son, call me Jeb.
Dameon: Uh, right. Jeb...
My prepared speech tumbles right out of my head. I decide to wing it.
 
Dameon: Sir, your daughter, Charissa, she means the world to me. We both know she has some quirks but I love her even more because of them. I promise to never hurt her, to see she wants for nothing, and to be a man she can depend on. And although she has already agreed to marry me...

Dameon: ... nothing would make me happier than to have your blessing on our union. 
The silence is deafening. I can hear Rissa and Shirley coming through the front door. How terrible it feels knowing I will have to tell Rissa that her father wouldn't give his blessing. I fold my hands and ask once more.
Dameon: Jeb, we ARE getting married. But it would mean so much to both of us if we were to have your blessing. 

Jebidiah: Dameon, I have no doubt you love my daughter. And it's hard for an old man to let his only child go. But, despite what my wife says, I can see a great man in you and I have no doubt you will make my baby happy. Welcome to the family, Son.
Relief rushes through me as well as excitement. This is going to make Rissa's day! I slap Jeb on the shoulder.
Dameon: You had me worried there, Sir.
His hearty laughter fills the room. Rissa, Shirley, and Rachel all stop to look at him.
Jebidiah: I know, I know. You should have seen your face!
Great, a comedian.

We talk a bit more about plans for the wedding. Jeb asks me to show him a few tricks from my routine, which I do. But something in the sound of Rissa's voice causes me to lose track and listen in to their conversation.
Charissa: Mom, that's silly. It's seems like closing the barn doors after the cows have gotten out, you know?
Shirley: I'm not asking a lot of you, Charissa. It's just for two weeks. It would make getting things prepared easier for the both of us.
What's going on? What is Shirley trying to convince Rissa to do?

Charissa: But Rachel is here, and I ...
Shirley: Oh well, we have several empty rooms in this place your Father insisted on buying. We can turn one into a temporary nursery and bring Rachel with us.
Charissa: I don't know. I had planned on something quiet and low-key right here in the back yard.
Shirley turns to me and gives me that look I have seen from her since I first started dating Rissa.
Shirley: Dameon, tell her it's a good idea. Think of all the free time you would have to yourself if she were to stay with us for a while?
Crap, I am under the gun. Agree and be forced away from Rissa until the wedding. Or disagree and start my marriage out having an angry mother-in-law. Life is full of hard choices!
Dameon: I kinda think it's a good idea, Rissa.
Charissa: You do?!
Dameon: Uh, yea. I mean, your mom is just trying to help out. And I can stop by in the mornings before I head to the square. I want this to be nice, for both of us.

Thankfully, Jeb saw my dilemma and came to the rescue.
Jebidiah: Oh, it won't be that bad, Sweetie. Shirley and I can even watch Rachel while you and Dameon have some alone time. But just give us these last two weeks to spend some time with you.
I can see Rissa wavering on her decision. I already feel the lonely nights coming.
 
Charissa: Well, OK then, Daddy. But I am serious about not having a big, gaudy wedding.
I see the deed is done. I offer farewells and hugs as I head out for my gig at the coffeehouse. At the door, I pause as I hear the conversation pick back up.
Charissa: I had thought about a beach wedding. But without all the flare you normally associate with it. I mean, who wants to find ten bridesmaids then pick out dresses for each of them.
I laugh to myself. Only my Rissa would fight against the big wedding of other girls' dreams.

I crank up the van and glance inside as I am pulling away from the curb. Shirley is giving me the death stare. I wonder now why she was forcing the issue? Could she really be trying to separate me and Rissa? I push those doubts away so I can focus on my show. Tonight, I will be performing the Swords of Destiny for the first time.
The Flying V Coffeehouse has never been know for it's talent on Saturday night but it is a step up from the shows I was putting on in the park. I see a lot of people milling around and a few sit down when they notice I am about to start.
I hear a staged whisper. It's my Aunt Sofia.
Sofia: Hey Dameon. I will be rooting for you.
She waves enthusiastically. I wonder if being slow-witted runs in my family.
Dina: Let's get this show started, Big Boy!
I awkwardly tug at my sleeves. Dina Caliente, formerly Bachelor, is somewhat of a celebrity here but I find her distasteful. She's brazen, outspoken, and the town bike - everyone's had a turn to ride her. Rumor is she got pregnant so Mike would have to marry her and take her away from boring old Barnacle Bay. Then he caught Dina in bed with a high priced lawyer who eventually helped her scalp him in the divorce. I feel sorry that her child will be related to Rachel.
  
I hated not being able to look out and see Rissa's face in the crowd. I heard a camera clicking and thought just maybe she had ditched her parents to come see me instead. But it was just a reporter from the local paper. Twice during the night I had to ask him to please step off the stage.
 
But I guess the annoyance was worth it to see my name in print. Next time I should ask him to use my stage name. I need more people to think of The Mystical Dee when they think of my magic show, not Dameon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Julio: Alright, Sweetling, time for bed. Close your eyes and dream.
Granddad is so good with Rachel and she loves him to death, too. I think he might even have her walking soon. With Rissa and I switching off days of keeping her, I was so grateful Granddad agreed to move in until the wedding.
Dameon: Watch her go right to sleep just because you told her to.
Granddad smiles and motions me out the room as he croons a soft lullaby to Rach.
 
I turn down the volume on the game to be sure not to disturb Rachel.
Julio: Did they score yet?
Dameon: No, but they are in the red zone. If Brees can just get that ball in the region of Graham, he can win it. That guy has some skills.
As the game continues, I can tell Granddad isn't into it.
 
Julio: I wanted to talk to you about some things...
I can't tear my eyes away just yet. Third down and inches.
Dameon: Come on!! 
Julio: Do you think we can turn this off for just a minute?
Dameon: What? No! Winning this game puts us in the playoffs, Granddaddy!

Dameon: Touchdown! Hell yea!
As a commercial comes on, I recall Granddad had asked me something.
Dameon: What things did you want to talk about?
Julio: Your obsession with this game is almost dangerous. You know, meditating gives you a control ...
I start to laugh and he breaks into a grin. He gave up long ago trying to teach me how to meditate claiming I was too rambunctious.
Dameon: Seriously, Granddad. Hurry and spit it out before the game comes back.
Julio: Are you and Rissa planning on having kids?
I try to figure out where he is going with his question but decide to let him have his say. I mute the game despite the 2 minute warning being blasted, and give him my full attention.
Dameon: Yes, we have already talked about it. She wants her own child to care for.
Julio: Do you have money for a new place yet?
Dameon: Things aren't going as well as they should, Granddad. Even with Rissa selling her work and my gigs, money doesn't seem to be sticking. Between having to buy my own props, things needing to be repaired, and Rachel growing out of her old clothes so quick, I ... We just haven't....
Julio: I understand. And I think I have a solution that will help you out. But I need to get all the facts before I commit. Do I have your permission to start looking for a new home that we all can move into?
Dameon: Granddad, you have already helped us so much as it is. I can't imagine taking more from you.
Julio: You have given me joy that I didn't even know I was missing. That is something all the money in the world cannot buy. Let me do this. For your future children, if not for you.
Dameon: You drive a hard bargain, you know that? But I want to speak to Rissa about it first.
As my mind drifts to Rissa, I wonder what she has been up too...

(NOTE: These images are not narrated by Dameon since he did not witness them.)

 Shirley: I just can't stand it, Jebidiah. She doesn't listen to me so you talk to her.
Jebidiah: I don't know what you want me to say, Shirley. The girl is almost 22 and is getting married in less than a week. 
Shirley: Damn it, Jeb! Why can't you side with me for once instead of always sticking up for Charissa?
Charissa: I'm right here, Mother. And I will NOT stand around and listen to you blame Dameon for the crimes of his father.

Shirley: I am your mother and you will talk to me with respect, young lady. Besides, I was not BLAMING him for Miguel's indiscretions. I am just trying to tell you the apple does not fall far from the tree.
Charissa: Oh come on, Dameon and his father are like night and day. Which you would know if you just took the time to get to know him.
 
Shirley: I have my reasons, Charissa. And I won't lower myself to consort with street performers. You want to marry him? That is fine! I will help you make this wedding as plain and unremarkable as you seem to want it. But I don't want you to come crying to me when he breaks your heart by screwing around on you, do you understand?
    
Charissa: He will NEVER cheat on me! Don't you understand that he is different? The he is...
Jebidiah: Rissa, honey are you okay? You've gone pale.
Charissa: I don't know. I suddenly...
Jebidiah: Did you HAVE to bring this up, Shirley? Tell me what's wrong, Rissa.

 Shirley: Baby, are you alright? I am so sorry I made you upset. Let's go sit down.
Charissa: No, I think it might pass.
Shirley: Well, I will get you a glass of water anyway and we'll all calm down and talk about/
Charissa: It's not passing. I have to...
Jebdiah: Where are you ... Oh, um first door on the left honey! 

...

(NOTE: Now back to our regularly scheduled narration.)

Dameon: I don't know what he meant by it. But Granddad really wants to do this for us.
Charissa: Mr Julio is the greatest but I really want us to try and make it on our own, Dameon.
I step in closer so our whispers can't be overheard. My hand caresses her arm because I feel this need to touch her.
Dameon: But Sweetie, we have no room. And I thought you were the one who wanted to start trying for a baby right after the wedding. 
Charissa: About that...we need to/
Brandon: OK, you two lovebirds. Let's start us a wedding.
  
We nervously stand alone under the arch while our few guests assemble around us. Granddad braves the searing heat to hear the exchanging of our vows. Aunt Sofia, Uncle Dimitri, Jebidiah, Shirley, and Stardust Woods, Brandon's wife, are the only other witnesses to the first step of our new lives. Although Shirley looks to be the only one not enjoying this moment.

It doesn't matter anymore. Brandon does his part and we answer when we are suppose to. Charissa's eyes sparkle with unshed tears. I can practically feel the happiness radiating off her beautiful face. Then comes time for me to give her the ring. I clear my throat as I prepare to recite the words I feel like I have been waiting a lifetime to say.

Dameon: In High School, we would pass notes and meet in secret during Study Hall. We snuck kisses in the hallway and held hands on the bus, never knowing that we were paving the way for the future. Today, I stand before you as a man but inside I have that young boys' heart still filled with love for the only girl I have ever kissed.

Dameon: This ring is a symbol. A symbol of our love. It has no beginning and no end, it just is. I can't tell you when I started loving you. This love I have for you ... just is. And I pledge to cherish you and all your quirkiness, to provide for you, to care for you even when you're old and wrinkly.
Rissa lets out a spontaneous, watery giggle.
Charissa: Gee, thanks.
I smile and continue through to the most important part.

Dameon: I promise, here and now, that I will never stray. I will be faithful and true to this vow we are taking today. For me, there is no other nor will there ever be another that can complete me the way that you do. Charissa Wilson, you are the real magic in my life.

When I finished, I can honestly say there wasn't an unmoved soul attending our wedding. Including myself and Rissa. Only the great Watcher knew what our future will hold but I feet like I could handle anything at this moment.

Brandon: You may kiss the bride.
And I did!

Once all the clapping and congratulating was over, we moved over to the rental building for some champagne and cake. I slipped some money to Brandon and he thanked me. I was spared his political spiel for which I was grateful. As the afternoon wore down, I searched out Granddad to pass off Rachel so Rissa and I could leave.
Dameon: And the phone number for her pediatrician is right next to the computer.
Julio: Dameon, it's just for the weekend. I am sure I can handle one kid for three days without having a medical emergency.
Since we didn't have much, Rissa and I had booked a hotel for the weekend as a sort of honeymoon.
Dameon: I know, I just want to double check that everything is taken care of.
Julio: Go. Snatch up your young bride and ride off into the sunset. All will be settled when you return.
I didn't know what he was talking about but my excitement overrode my curiosity. I was married!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Charissa: Wow, Dameon. We are married! I'm an honest woman now.
Dameon: You would have been one sooner if you had just given in to me. And that means we can start trying for a baby ... IF we haven't already created one from this weekend.
Laughing at my own cleverness, it takes me a second to realize Rissa isn't laughing.

Dameon: Rissa? Honey. What's the matter?
Charissa: I wanted to tell you before but the time was never right.
Worry causes slight chills to run up my spine. My mind is working overtime trying to prepare myself for the worst.
Charissa: I was already pregnant. I found out right before the wedding.
My breathe exhales and my body relaxes.

I swoop her up into my arms and spin around in the front yard.
Dameon: WOOO! I'm gonna be a Daddy!
Rissa's laughter rings in my ears. It's hard to hear anything as the blood is rushing around in my ears from the adrenaline her confession has caused inside of me.
Rissa: You aren't ... mad?
Dameon: Never, my Love. 
I can't imagine being mad. There is now physical proof of our love for each other. Maybe it happened a little ahead of schedule but it was always part of the plan. I kiss her full on the mouth then draw back to look at her face.
Dameon: I think Granddad is going to be so happy. Let's go tell him!
I let her legs slide down and grip her hand firmly in mine. We race up the stairs like children eager to be home from school. But inside, I come face to face with a nightmare.

Miguel: Hello, Dameon.

1 comment:

  1. WOW cliffhanger! I can't wait to see what happens next! I am so happy for Dameon and Rissa. They are just too cute. Very well written, B! <3

    ReplyDelete